what is an embezzlement investigation?
Embezzlement is a white-collar crime used to obtain funds or assets unlawfully. An embezzlement investigator may be necessary if you have suspicion of a colleague, employee, or partner siphoning funds or property from your company or workplace. This case type is similar to other employee misconduct, as suspicion may lead to additional evidence of wrong-doing. Typically, this investigation is an attempt to provide disciplinary action, and recover any losses that the person or company had endured. The key focus an embezzlement investigation is to determine theft, the amount in which was taken, the method, removal of employment or disciplinary action, and recovery of assets.
How long does an embezzlement investigation take?
The length of the investigation will heavily depend on the size and complexity of the case. Obtaining the facts is without a doubt the most time consuming of all, as certified fraud examiners may need called upon. The embezzlement investigative process can take anywhere from a few weeks to potentially years. Additionally, state laws and the FCRA compliance is may be required when the use of polygraph tests, integrity tests, outside investigators, credit and background checks, and monitoring devices are used.
embezzlement investigation process
The process of an investigation involving embezzlement can vary, but typically conducted in the following order:
- Fact gathering (has actual theft occured)
- Totality of theft and methods used
- Remedial action
Complete our Free Consultation Form:
To begin, please fill out our consultation request form online to speak with one of our private investigators. Our in house agents will then tailor the investigation with action yielding objectives to reach your results.
Connect With One of Our Private Investigators:
A private investigator may field the inquiry prior to reaching out in order to understand the situation and prepare. Questions asked by the agent may be one or all of the following:
- Does this investigation have reasonable purpose?
- Where is the Subject or Matter located?
- Can you provide specific information in which you are seeking to obtain?
- Do you have any knowledge or intel that you would like our agents to investigate further?
- What information on the Subject or matter have you found already?
- Would you like any close associates or persons investigated as well?
Once a case action plan has been identified, your assigned private detective will begin the investigation. An example of the investigative process may look like such:
- Immediate Action. Your case will be immediately assigned and work will begin within the first 12-24 hours.
- Corroborating facts. Is the information provided to the investigator sound?
- Execution of Case Action Plan. We assign the most fit investigator to achieve the most valuable results.
- Case Action Updates. Your investigator will provide you with status updates and obtained information regularly.
- Facts. After obtaining the information sought after, we comb through the case file and ensure no steps or information had been missed.
- Final Report. Compiling your case report may be the most crucial part. We ensure professionalism and accuracy.
Our team of highly trained professional investigators will obtain information on the specific person or object. Actions in accordance with legal guidelines, time tailored for your case, and proper reporting are all necessary for a private investigator to fulfill a proper investigation. Embezzlement Investigations may require additional time outside the 4 hour minimum that PRIVIN has in place to conduct a professional investigation.
Completion of Your Case:
The investigator assigned to your Embezzlement case will provide you with a written report for you to review. Additionally, the report is reviewed by the client and investigator for accuracy. Any questions the client may have will be answered accordingly.
Being the professionals that we are, in the event that the client requests the assigned agent to appear in court, we are able to coordinate the evolution.
Confidentiality is paramount and therefore all communication between a client, and the assigned investigators will be kept Confidential.